May 3, 2010

Riders Up!

The training for the Trek is going very well. Yesterday included a 52 mile ride topped off with the Kentucky Derby on TV and homemade mint juleps. I always watch the Derby, but this year it seems to mean more to me... fond remembrance of life and traditions from the Midwest. I love the Derby--beautiful horses and drinking is always in fashion.

However, I love The Indianapolis 500 more. I miss the 500. Granted, I haven't been in the last couple of years, but it is an event that has been the bounty of plenty of good times. It's always great to wake up on Sunday, start the day with bloody marys before a pool of drivers freshly cut from The Indianapolis Star are placed into a hat for the low price of $10 a pull. Socialize for a while then wander on over to the track. Find your seats (hopefully high in the first turn) and settle in for Jim Nabors and Florence Henderson. Then  the words you've been waiting the whole month of May (at least) to hear, "Ladies and gentlemen start your engines."

No comments:

Post a Comment